Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Accreditation

A year ago at this time Jake and I had to make a very hard decision. I had gotten accepted to a couple different physical therapy schools and we needed to decide where we wanted to go. Our final choices were between Rocky Mountain University in Provo and UNLV.

Rocky Mountain pros: We would be able to stay near our family and friends
Rocky Mountain cons: I would be in the first graduating class and taking the huge risk of it not becoming accredited. The years and money in school would be a total waste (the first class of every new program has to take that risk).
UNLV pros: It had a great program with great faculty, and we could move away for a couple years.
UNLV cons: I felt bad forcing jake to move to vegas and go to UNLV, even though he said he wouldn't mind

So it seemed strange, a year ago, when I felt really uncomfortable thinking about going to UNLV. I didn't want to go to a school that wasn't accredited, I didn't want to put my future on the line, I didn't want to take any risk like that. But every time we thought about it or prayed about it we both felt like we shouldn't go to UNLV. i hated that so bad.

I finally decided to go against what I was more comfortable with, and told Rocky Mountain I would attend their school. I started last May and have really enjoyed it here. I have learned so much and the faculty is great. But that risk has never gone away. The past 2 months we have been waiting to hear the news about whether or not we have a future as Rocky Mountain students and a future as physical therapists. I have been a little apprehensive about all of it because I know I had the choice to go somewhere else; but at the same time I was at peace. I knew we were here for a reason and if it wasn't to go to school to be a physical therapist then it was for another reason.

The fax came in yesterday: The University is now officially accredited! But that's not all. The day before that fax came in I was reading in the newspaper about past UNLV budget cuts ($50 million in the last 4 years). They just announced on Sunday they have gotten another $50 million budget cut for the next year. They are saying how they are having to cut programs and become a lot smaller of a school.

I can officially say our prayers about which school to go to were answered. And it was a whole year later that I was able to see why.

2 comments:

Leave me a comment, or else!